Friday, October 26, 2007

Week 7: "Blog About Technology"

When I think about technology, I think about how very much things have changed! When I was young, we had no cable T.V. There were 3 channels to choose from and you had to physically get up and change the channel on a knob on the T.V. (No remote controls back then...and most T.V.'s were Black and WHite!) There were also no Microwave ovens to ZAP a meal in miutes. My mother in law still owns and regularly uses..not a microwave but a "Radar Range" as well as a sewing machine that uses a treadle instead of an electical outlet. Even the size of a cell phone has been reduced to pocket-size in no time.
When I was in library school, the card catalog...yes, the little drawers filled with 3 x 5 inch cards with a hole in the middle near the bottom of the card, was still the King of the Collecton. That has certainly changed over time. I had one week of Internet teaching in graduate school and it was full of terms like "gopher" and "Archie". I thought it was the most bizzaire thing in the world and wondered how on earth could anyone enjoy working with such a difficult thing. There was no www.com back then. Now we can't imagine even one day without checking our e-mail accounts!
The many advances in technological "stuff" changes from day to day and you never know what tomorrow will bring. I work hard to keep up with the new and imporved but someday I will probably gets stuck on a speed bump and sit idle for a while. This weekly lesson on many new new trends in technology is certainly a great way to learn...I just hope it's not too much for me to keep up with as time goes by.
I am going to post a message on another participants blog then I'll ask them in person if they received it as a new comment later in the day.

No comments: