Thursday, November 1, 2007

Week 8: #18 "Social Networking: Making Friends in the Comfort of Your Own Home"

Social Networking is a scarey thing to me. It is way to risky to just put yourself out there on sites like My Space.. My daughter has a My Space account and she is upset because i won't let her post pictures of herself on it. No way..she's only 14 and I don't care if all of her friends are doing it. I used the old adage of jumping off a cliff with her and she just rolled her eyes at me. I told her she should just be glad I would let her have an account. She is on it for hours at a time and, it is rather handy for her as she gets her babysittting requests through the site. I guess it works for her. She networks with friends, neighbors, relatives...me? I'd rather type an e-mail or make a phone call. I have spent time looking at My Space through her account and found it to be filled with "stuff" of little or no value except to people in your group. I hate to say I'm too old for that sort of thing...just old fashioned about what I would let anyone know about me and mine. If folks want to know something or tell me something, like I said, write an e-mail (or even a Snail Mail) or pick up the phone. For the sake of iHCPL I did look at two other Social Networks for fun...catster and dogster. It was fun to see some of the silly poses the animlas went through to be added to the sites. I felt sorry for some of them. Anyway, Social Networking is not for me but for those who like that sort of thing...Have at it.

No comments: