Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Crafts & Hobbies #66: Knitting & Crocheting

1) I for one, am not a knitter. I have tried innumerable times to knit and/or crochet and it just doesn't work for me. I can cast on stitches and make a pretty descent row of chain stitches (I can even knit or crochet a long line of chain stitches on my fingers) but go beyond that and it just doesn't work. No two stitches of mine are the same. The first one may be just right then the next one is way too loose then the next one is way too tight...they never seem to match. It just becomes a mess.
My mother, on the other hand, could knit and crochet anything. You name it, she could do it. I have a huge collection of hand-kinit sweaters that I never get to wear now that I live in Texas. When I lived in West Virginia I could almost wear them year-round. (I have many vests that could be worn in the spring, early summer, late summer and fall...then it was into warm, cozy sweaters for the long, cold winters). I even had a few short sleeve, light weight ones to wear during the summer months. (We didn't have 100 degree days.)
My grandmother could not knit but she could crochet so I have many things she passed on to me from her trusty crochet hook. Lots of doilies...and other daintly little things...but no clothing unless you count toasty socks.
I remember them talking about knitting things for the soldiers during WWII...there were groups that sat around to knit or crochet warm, woolen caps for the men serving out on the front lines and warm lap blankets for the military hospitals to use. I was happy to see through the web sites that there are still folks out there who can use this skill (or crafting ability) to supply things for todays soldiers and veterans as well as for people in chemotherapy and hospice.
I have read all of the Debbie Macomber books that have a common knitting theme...so I can enjoy them even though I cannot knit.

2) The Children's Deartment here at the Freeman Branch has several knitters so they started up a learn to knit program this summer. There were three sessions and it was a huge success...so successful in fact that another 4 week beginners course is starting up in September.
And, for those who sucessfully completed the first summer courses, they are continuing the "fun" with a Knittng Club meeting once a month. This meeting will be for children who already know how to knit and just want to share some knitting fun, projects, designs, conversation or perhaps they are stuck and need some help on figuring something out.
There are 4 knitters in the Children's Department and we have some adult volunteers who help out as well. If this proves to be successful, they may open up the Knitting Club to adult knitters as well as children in the Spring. Right now they are going to concentrate on the children so this craft may continue to grow in our community.
Now, I can do Cross stitch embroidery so bring on the DMC floss and I'm good to go...

No comments: