Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Posting #53: Books, Readers and Beyond: Finding Books Online" Exercise #2 and #3

2) I searched for Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber. This is what I found: Half Price Books does not have a searchable web-site so I didn't check for it at their site. I went to Borders.com (My personal favorite "go-to" bookstore) and found it for $24.99. It is also available as an Audio CD or Audio Cassette. You could also pre-order the paperback edition for $7.99. From Barnes and Noble the list price was @24.95 but the on-line price was only $16.21. It was also available on Audio CD it was available. I check the HCPL site and found it was available as a regular book, an Electronic Audiobook, a Large Type book and an Audio CD.

3) I downloaded the book Can You Keep A Secret by Sophie Kinsella. I liked reading the book because it kept my interest but I did not like reading it on my computer screen. Sometimes the glare was impossible and the stiff neck I encountered was uncomfortable. You just can't curl up with a computer screen and enjoy a book. There's something about holding it in your hand, being comfortable, and the book being portable from room-to-room or location-to-location. For some this may be a good thing but not or me when I am reading for fun/pleasure/myself. I have since found the book available at several HCPL Libraries so I will enjoy reading it (book format) in the near future.
Overdrive is a favorite of mine as I can download books on my MP3 player then play them in the car on long (or short stuck-in-traffic) trips. I guess titles on overdrive might help if you need a book or manual of some sort in a hurry and the library is closed or far away at the time it is needed. I got discouraged a while back because I looked up a craft book and found lots of instructions but no pictures...I knew that would happen but what was the point of putting a craft book up on a page where no pictures of the craft (either in progress or completed) can be seen? Anyway, as I stated before, I much prefer a physical book in hand as my first choice and audio books as a close second.

No comments: